Refereed Publications – Journal Papers
(* corresponding author)
- Chu, M.* (2020). The limits to the internationalisation of regulation: Divergent enforcement strategies in China’s food safety regulation. Policy & Politics. [Link]
- Chu, M.* (2020). Horses for courses: China’s accommodative approach to food standard-setting in response to the internationalization of regulation. Regulation & Governance, 14(3), 514–530. [Link]
- Wong, W. W., Chu, M. (2020). Digital governance as institutional adaptation and development: Social media strategies between Hong Kong and Shenzhen. China Review–An Interdisciplinary Journal on Greater China, 20(3), 43–70. [Link]
- Liu, L., Li, M. Y., Chu, M.* (Accepted). Promotion for performance? The working incentive of Chinese provincial environmental agency heads in pollution reduction. Chinese Public Administration Review.
- Wang, J. H., Tao, J. Y., Chu, M.* (2020). Behind the label: Chinese consumers’ trust in food certification and the effect of perceived quality on purchase intention. Food Control, 108 (February), 106825. [Link]
- Chu, M., Chang, Y. C., Lee, C. Y., Cheng, K. T. (2019). Perceptions of communications sector regulatory performance in the East Asia and Pacific region. Utilities Policy, 58 (June), 128–135. [Link]
- Wang, J. H., Chu, M., Deng, Y. Y., Lam, H. M., Tang, J. J. (2018). Determinants of pesticide application: An empirical analysis with theory of planned behavior. China Agricultural Economic Review, 10(4), 608–625. [Link]
- Chu, M.*, Wang, J. H. (2018). Central-local collaboration in regulating food safety in China. Public Money and Management, 38(6), 437–444. [Link]
- Wang, J. H., Chu, M., Ma, Y. (2018). Measuring rice farmer’s pesticide overuse practice and the determinants: A statistical analysis based on data collected in Jiangsu and Anhui provinces of China. Sustainability, 10(3), 677–694. [Link]
- Wang, J. H., Tao, J. Y., Yang C. C., Chu, M., Lam, H. M. (2017). A general framework incorporating knowledge, risk perception and practices to eliminate pesticide residues: A structural equation modelling analysis based on survey data of 986 Chinese farmers. Food Control, 80 (October), 143–150. [Link]
- Wong, W., Chu, M. (2017). Rebel with a cause: Structural problems underlying the umbrella movement of Hong Kong and the role of the youth. Asian Education and Development Studies, 6, 4, 343–353. [Link]
Refereed Publications – Journal Papers (in Chinese)
- Wang, J. H., Yang, C. C., Chu, M. (2018). Selection deviation and influence factors on consumers' purchasing behavior for pork with safety certification (in Chinese). China Population Resources and Environment, 28(12), 150–161. [Link]
- Wang, J. H., Ge, J. Y. & Chu, M. (2016). Practical dilemma and governance logic of food safety risk co-governance (in Chinese). Social Sciences Research, 6, 111–117. [Link]
- Wang, J. H., Ma, Y. T., Chu, M. (2016). From state regulation to governance: Functional transition of governments in agricultural products safety regulation (in Chinese). Journal of Nanjing Agricultural University (Social Sciences Edition), 16(4), 119–129, 159. [Link]
Refereed Publications – Book Chapters
- Chu, M.*, Pau, P. W. (2020). Regulation in China. In X. W. Zang, H. Chan (Ed.), Handbook of Public Policy and Public Administration in China, 135–149. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing. [Link]
- Chu, M.* (2018). Regulatory policy. In A. Farazmand (Ed.), Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance, 5396–5404. Cham: Springer International Publishing. [Link]
- Co-PI, CUHK-Exeter ENSURE Funding, “Global food security, climate change and resilience: An international perspective”, CUHK–University of Exeter Joint Centre for Environment Sustainability & Resilience (ENSURE), HK$1,000,000, 01/01/2019–31/12/2020.
- Co-I, Research Sustainability of Major RGC Funding Schemes, “Institution building in the Guangdong–Hong Kong–Macao Greater Bay Area: The Qianhai court as a case study”, CUHK Research Committee, HK$680,000, 30/06/2019–29/06/2021.
- Co-I, Strategic Public Policy Research (SPPR) Funding Scheme, “Moving to and working in the Guangdong–Hong Kong–Macao Bay Area among Hong Kong residents: Intention, experience and settlement outcomes”, Policy Innovation and Co-ordination Office, Hong Kong SAR Government, HK$3,706,000, 30/04/2019–29/04/2022.
- Co-I, General Research Fund, “Social media and political participation of youth in Hong Kong”, Research Grants Council, HK$748,676, 01/01/2018–31/12/2019.
- PI, Direct Grant, “Innovations under an authoritarian regime? Environmental regulatory innovations of prefecture-level governments in China”, CUHK Research Committee, HK$71,800, 01/06/2019–31/05/2020.
- PI, Direct Grant, “Determinants of farmers’ compliance behavior in China”, CUHK Research Committee, HK$73,514, 01/07/2018–31/12/2019.
- PI, Lee Hysan Foundation Research Grant and Endowment Fund Research Grant, “Innovations under an authoritarian regime? Environmental regulatory innovations of prefecture-level governments in China”, United College’s Committee on Cultural Interchange and Research, HK$10,000, 01/12/2018–01/09/2019.
- PI, Early Career Scheme, “Food safety regulation in China: A regulatory regime perspective from the food business angle”, Research Grants Council, HK$449,500, 01/01/2016–30/06/2018.
- PI, South China Programme Research Grant, “Transnational regulation and impacts of trans-border pressure on domestic risk regulatory regimes: A case study of environmental regulation in China”, Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies, HK$155,000, 01/01/2015–31/12/2016.
- PI, Direct Grant, “The impacts of emerging environmental groups and public awareness on pollution regulation in industrialising economies: A comparative case study of China”, CUHK Research Committee, HK$22,840, 01/01/2015–31/12/2017.
TEACHING DEVELOPMENT GRANT
- Co-I, Special Funding Scheme to Enhance Student Engagement and Address Student Learning Needs supported by the Teaching Development and Language Enhancement Grant (TDLEG), “E-mentors hub for data science and policy studies students”, CUHK Senate Committee on Teaching and Learning, HK$195,395.4, 01/10/2020–30/06/2021.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Best Presentation Award, “Searching for sustainability solutions: Explaining environmental regulatory innovations in China”, presented in 2018 at the 7th International Conference on Social Science and Humanity, Fukuoka, Japan, 27/03/2018.
- Wuxi City 14th Philosophy and Social Science Excellent Achievement Award. 12/2018.
- Editorial Board Member, Policy Studies, from 01/2021.
- Assistant Director, Master of Public Policy Programme, GPA, 08/2018–07/2019.
- Member, Management Committee, Master of Public Policy Programme, GPA, 08/2016–07/2019.
- Member, Graduate Committee, GPA, 08/2016–07/2019.
- Member, Admission and Publicity Committee, GPA, 08/2014–07/2016.
- Head of Admissions Panel, BSSc Data Science and Policy Studies, 05/2018–Present.
- Member, Faculty Admissions Committee, 08/2019–Present.
- Member, Committee on Academic Advising, 08/2019–Present.
- Member, Management Committee, BSSc Data Science and Policy Studies, 08/2019–Present.
- Member, Canteen Management Committee, United College, 08/2020–Present.
- Member, Alumni Affairs and Development Committee, United College, 08/2015–Present.
- College Coordinator, United College, 08/2015–Present.
- Hon Academic Adviser, Culture and English Language Programme at Hertford College, University of Oxford, United College, 07/2016–08/2016.
- Member, Cultural Inclusion Subgroup, Rapid Response Task Force, 10/2019–Present.
- Member, Selection Panel, Hong Kong Government Administrative Service Internship Programme, Career Planning and Development Centre, Office of Student Affairs, 02/2015–02/2019.
- Speaker, Training Workshop, Fire Services Department, Hong Kong SAR Government.
- Speaker, Service Learning in STEM: Application of Statistics in Community Survey, University of Science, Vietnam National University, Ho Chi Minh City, 16/03/2019–19/03/2019.
- Reviewer of Journals
- Public Administration
- Regulation & Governance
- Public Administration Review
- Journal of Environmental Management
- Journal of Asian Public Policy